Sunday, September 30, 2012

PATTERNING!

This week I have spent a lot of time developing the imagery on my work. I have been looking back at historic patterning to see how to manipulate  my patterns. Some styles which I am working from include tessellation, symmetrical patterning, stenciling and paper cutting. All which have been done throughout history.




AND...I found a website from which kids (and I) can create tessellations! http://illuminations.nctm.org


 In addition to working out some of the imagery i have had the challenge of figuring out how to adapt them to a 3-d  form. i have been trying all sorts of different ways to work this out. this week i had a semi breakthrough while working at the start up incubator. In Photoshop they now have the 3-d tools which allow one to work with a shape that appears 3-d. I was able to insert my pattern onto the shape and manipulate it to see what it would look like placed on the form. The tools still have there limitations/or I have not fully figured out the capabilities of the software. I was only able to work with the basic shapes like a sphere and cone. My hope is that at some point I will be capable of creating the patterns on the 3-d forms, or even import my shapes of my pots so that I may manipulate the patterning before I approach the real surface. Maybe after making the manipulations on the computer I can print out the flattened Birdseye view and translate that to my work. Hopefully it will eventually make the process of patterning on the work quicker and less tedious.

No comments:

Post a Comment